
Director of "Godzilla vs. Kong" Revealed What He Disliked About Working on the MonsterVerse
Adam Wingard was given a lot of creative freedom, but he didn't have the final say in everything.
Adam Wingard was able to bring many of his own ideas to "Godzilla vs. Kong" and "Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire," but he remained dissatisfied with one aspect of the films. The director wanted to give them a musical sound in the spirit of 1980s films and John Carpenter, but Warner Bros. and Legendary did not allow him to fully realize this idea:
"There were songs and electronic music in the films, but my heart is much more drawn to the atmosphere of the eighties and John Carpenter."
For "Godzilla vs. Kong," Wingard wanted to invite composer Matthew Pusti, with whom he had previously worked on "Death Note." Pusti even wrote music for the film's pre-visualization, but the studios insisted on a different composer:
"That was the first time I came to work on such a big studio movie, and the first time I got my ass kicked. I said, 'I want this guy to do the music.' They hired him for the pre-viz, and he wrote music for it. But at some point, Legendary and Warner Bros. just said, 'You can pick one of three f***ing guys we trust. That's how it's going to be.'"
Ultimately, the music for "Godzilla vs. Kong" was composed by Tom Holkenborg, known as Junkie XL. He returned for "The New Empire," where he worked on the soundtrack with Antonio Di Iorio.

After "The New Empire," Wingard left the MonsterVerse due to scheduling conflicts. Legendary wanted to start production on the next film as quickly as possible, while the director was already preparing to shoot the adventure horror film "Onslaught" for A24, which will be released on September 4, 2026.
The next installment of the franchise, "Godzilla x Kong: Supernova," will be directed by Grant Sputore, director of "I Am Mother." Its premiere is scheduled for 2027.
Комментарии